Each municipality has their own by-laws and legislation regarding home burial. Please contact your city/township office for more details. Additionally, you must own the property or have the property owner permission before burying your pet.
Should you choose to bury your pet at home…
- It is recommended that you keep your pet’s body in cold storage if you are unable to bury them within a few hours of their death.
- The burial hole should be dug to a depth of at least 4 feet, be 4 feet above the ground water table and allow for coverage with at least 4 feet of earth.
- Maintain at least 100 feet from wells and/or waterways.
- Be aware of and avoid buried water, gas or power lines.
- Do not bury in areas prone to flooding.
- Avoid wrapping your pet in plastic or synthetic material. Choose natural fibre blankets, cardboard or a wooden box.
- Additionally, it is advisable to cover the burial site with rocks for added protection from wild animals.